Saturday, May 19, 2007

Microsoft Internet Explorer Patch problem

Folks watch out if you are planning to patch your system.

http://infotech.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2060307.cms

Installing Microsoft's latest six-bug patch earlier this month proved costly for many computer users. Many of them discovered to their horror that they were not able to use Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) after installing the six-bug patch.

Acknowledging the problem, the Microsoft security managers have now published some temporary fixes for the problem. In a blog posting, Christopher Budd, a programme manager with the Microsoft Security Response Team (MSRC), said, "The issue here is that after applying the update, these users may then see the 'File Download -- Security Warning' dialogue box raised when starting IE." He added, "After you close the dialogue, you cannot start IE."

According to Budd, the problem exists for those users who have moved the Temporary Internet Files directory to some other location. If this has been done, Internet Explorer would no longer have access to the folder in the new location and would refuse to start.

Though the IE team said that it is looking into the issue, the MSRC has generated a support document with two workarounds to fix the problem. The first is to return the cache folder to its previous, default location. The second is to grant the required permissions to the folder in its new location.

However, some users on the Windows Update support forum claimed that they had not moved the Temporary Internet Files (TIF) directory, but still had problems with their IE7.

Microsoft added that the problem affects IE7 on both Windows Vista and Windows XP SP2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness I use Firefox.

This is from Microsoft support link -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937409